Monday 10 August 2015

Our Welcome swallows are nesting again - ALREADY !

I mentioned in my last post that we thought Spring was coming early this year.  I am almost certain of it now.  Our Welcome swallows have been bolstering the lining of their nest with nylon "fleece" from the dog bed last week.  We were delighted to watch them constantly zipping in-and-out of our carport this weekend, and spending longer each time in their nest as the day passed. 

I am expecting to see a swallow sitting in the nest all day again soon - I feel that nesting is imminent.  According to www.arkive.org (See - http://www.arkive.org/welcome-swallow/hirundo-neoxena)  ... the breeding season of the Welcome swallow runs from July to April, with a peak in breeding activity between September and October. Breeding tends to occur earlier inland than on the coast ...".  So we are definitely right at the beginning of their known breeding period, and I am watching events unfold with interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment