Friday 8 October 2021

Channel-billed cuckoos have arrived for Spring 2021

Spring 2021 seems to be running a bit later than usual.  My first sighting of a Channel-billed cuckoo this year was at 11:00 am on Monday 4th October 2021.  One adult Channel-billed cuckoo was being pursued vigorous by a mob of angry Noisy miners, and landed in a tree across the road from my home here in Belmont North.

Normally I'd have at least heard their unmistakable raucous calls or seen them much earlier than this, so perhaps the change of seasons is happening a little later this year.  Usually the Eastern koels are right behind them - and you cannot mistake their calls either.  I haven't heard or observed Koels yet either, so it might add fuel to the speculation of a late start to Spring.  

Differing from every year of my life, we have been in lockdown off and on since 2020, and forced to work from home.  So there is no way I could have missed hearing or seeing either of these prominent migratory species arrive in Belmont North.  

Thanks for stopping by and stay healthy !         

No comments:

Post a Comment