Thursday 28 May 2015

White-plumed honeyeaters, Maitland, NSW.


A shy White-plumed honeyeater, Lichenostomus penicillatus, Maitland, NSW May 2015

I was enjoying the late autumn sunshine during my lunch break on Tuesday this week, and absorbed in the thrill of learning how to use a new camera.  The chirping call of a Honeyeater managed to make it through the raucous cacophony of the Grey-headed flying fox camp in the garden .

A couple of lip-squeaks soon had several birds dropping down together from the canopy, 15 metres above to investigate my presence.  They were quite shy, and tried their best to keep foliage between us.  I struggled to get a clear image.  They were 
White-plumed honeyeaters, Lichenostomus penicillatus - a common species here in the Hunter ValleyThey checked me out briefly and left, satisfied that I wasn't competition or a threat.  

All too soon my lunchbreak was over and I was back at my workstation once more, absorbed into the responsibilities and team work of my role.      




No comments:

Post a Comment