Tuesday 15 November 2016

My first Topknot pigeon observation

I observed my first ever Topknot pigeons Lopholaimus antarcticus on Tuesday 8th November at Catherine Hill Bay.  It was a scorching day, and just before noon.  I could hardly believe my eyes as a flock of eight adult Topknot pigeons circled and landed in a stand of mature Banksia spp trees on the western side of the Catherine Hill Bay Cemetery.  It was just as I was heading off to an appointment and I was not able to stay to watch them for long.

To be absolutely clear, these were definitely Topknot pigeons, Lopholaimus antarcticus, NOT Crested pigeons,  Ocyphaps lophotes.  I have been hoping to see real Topknots for years, and finally I have ticked that box.  They were distinctive, very large pigeons with an obvious bar transversely across their tails, and the "topknot" was only discernible when they were at very close range.

I returned the next day with all of my camera gear, and naturally, there was no sign they were ever present.  I recorded the sighting in the Atlas of Living Australia.  It's so typical.  I didn't have my camera gear and a bird I'd wanted to see for years appears . . .  

No comments:

Post a Comment