Tuesday 15 November 2016

When a humpback does it's best mullet impersonation . . .

Humpback pectoral wave
Dad and I made a memory that will last the rest of our lives on Friday 4th November 2016.  I had shouted my Dad a trip to Broughton Island, just north of Port Stephens as a Father's day present, but it had been postponed due to inclement weather.  It was a perfect day, not a cloud in the sky and about 1 metre of gentle swell.  

We were trundling along in one of Frank Future's red terrors when an adult humpback whale unexpectedly leapt completely out of the water just 500 metres ahead of the boat !  The splash when it landed was tremendous.

Watching a Humpback do it's best impression of a mullet was the last thing we expected to see, especially in Spring, when most of the whales are south-bound and travelling many nautical miles out to sea to ride the East Australian current.  

I had my camera around my neck and once I picked my jaw up off the floor, was able to grab a couple of shots of the whale as it waved a pectoral fin at us, before sounding and disappearing into the deep.

What a remarkable day !  It was the very first time I'd ever set foot on Broughton, and I promised myself that I will sail there before long in my Farr 7500.

Providence Beach, Broughton Island.  Needs a Farr 7500 in the foreground ! 

Rossco photographing Providence Beach, 5th November 2016.  It is simply paradise.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment