Saturday 10 February 2024

Yet another Asian house gecko in Belmont, Lake Macquarie, NSW

 

Juvenile Asian house gecko - Belmont, Lake Macquarie NSW


I was on my evening walk last night, and stopped by the public building where I've previously observed Asian house geckos in the last few weeks.  Thankfully it was a much cooler day.  Walking was actually pleasant again, as the humidity was far lower and the early evening was significantly cooler.  Likely the temperature was somewhere in the low 20 degrees Celsius. 

A sub-adult Asian house gecko was foraging under a light in the same spot as the previous two.  This individual is nearly twice the size of the juvenile I observed previously, so they are very definitely happily breeding here. 

Again, I only had my (failing) mobile phone with me, and I was able to grab a single voucher image from 20 feet away, before the gecko disappeared into the cavity next to its' head.  This gecko was surprisingly vigilant, reacting to my presence when I first stopped to scan the area - about 30 feet away.  I fished my phone out of my pocket and crept forwards, zooming in as much as I could.  I took one image before the gecko zoomed into the holes in the bricks next to its' head. No other geckos were active.              

No comments:

Post a Comment