Friday 8 March 2024

A rustle from above

 


It was about 8:30pm last night, about half an hour after proper-dark.  I was enjoying my evening walk with one of the dogs last night, when something overhead caught her attention. Looking up, a Brush-tailed possum eyed us sceptically from the branches, some 15 metres or so above. 

"Yawn, just another Brushie", I thought to myself. 

Then I chuckled and caught myself.  I took a few moments to appreciate a lovely native animal, perfectly adapted to life in the suburbs amongst people.  Common species of native urban wildlife gets very much taken for granted, unless it's injured or annoying.  I just paused and watched this one for almost a minute, suddenly noticing another large adult Brush-tail watching us from much higher in the canopy of a nearby tree.  A few moments later, I smiled, patted Mabel and resumed our evening exercise.  

Its funny how I tend to take such common animals for granted.  It's interesting that we are two days out from the new moon, and usually I see possums in abundance at this stage of the lunar cycle.  We have Ring-tailed possums in profusion locally as well.  But last night, despite looking carefully for them, these were the only two possums we observed in the entire 6.5km course of our walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment