Saturday 28 March 2015

Backyard wildlife or "army worms" at Casa da Ayre

Juvenile Australian magpie feasting on emerging moths & caterpillars at Casa da Ayre

I have noticed an outbreak of "army worm" caterpillars in our back lawn recently, and have been contemplating whether I should spray them. I decided against it, and I am very glad that I didn't.

I was enjoyed my breakfast this morning on our backyard verandah while watching this juvenile Australian magpie and it's siblings feast on the "army worm" caterpillars and newly-emergent moths still too cool to fly, for nearly an hour. It warmed my heart to watch them darting about and munching heartily.  Every so often they seemed to stop and warble quietly to each other with pure delight.  Life is good !


Hmmm, I'll definitely have to mow the lawn this weekend though.  Amazing how quickly it grows after a bit of rain at this time of year . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment