Tuesday 3 November 2015

Storm fronts and bird sightings

Yesterday my wife emailed me a video clip of an intense rain shower falling in Belmont, complete with marble sized hail.  I have been driving a slightly different way home from work recently just to break up the monotony.  Yesterday noticed a couple of unusual birds, not long after the rain had passed.

The first sighting was at 18:12 when an Australian Brush-turkey, ran across the road in front of my car.  I was travelling on Rhonnda road Teralba, just east of the quarry at the time.  A few minutes later I observed a pair of White-headed pigeons feeding on a grassed area under a huge camphor laurel tree.  This was in the suburban area of Teralba, just east of the intersection between Rhonnda road and Railway street.  Of course, as soon as I stopped the birds took off, so I have no photographic evidence.

It's not unusual to see either of these species, just unexpected as I typically associate both species with wet sclerophyll or littoral rainforest, neither of which I have seen in this area.  It would be worth going for a walk through the bushland around Teralba soon.  Never know what might turn up !

I entered both sightings into the Atlas of Living Australia.  

No comments:

Post a Comment