Wednesday 1 October 2014

First Channel-billed Cuckoo for Spring 2014


Species Occurrence Record - Casa da Ayre - Belmont North  

On Sunday 28th September at 8:45pm, my wife Amanda and I heard the distinctive call of a single Channel-billed cuckoo at our home in Belmont North.  It was still Eastern Standard Time (Daylight Savings Time commences next weekend), and so quite dark outside.

The reason I record this call is because Channel-billed cuckoos are a migratory species, and this is my first observation of the species for Spring 2014.  I immediately unloaded the observation to the Atlas of Living Australia.  If you are not aware of this site, it is a treasure of records.  It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good to indicate the likelihood of a species occurring in a particular area, and the time of year the species is likely to be active.

No comments:

Post a Comment