Wednesday 15 October 2014

The villain herself - caught in broad daylight.

Broad daylight, and a reynard dawdles across the road in Louth Park (apologies for the image quality).
I was driving home this afternoon, and stopped to let this vixen cross the road.  I could hardly believe my eyes as this animal just dawdled across the road in front of me.  I thought it was someone's tomcat as I stopped my ute.  It regarded me with disdain and wandered with nonchalance across the paddock to hunt around the dam.

I was surrounded by suburbia, and there were two houses within 100 metres and a housing estate within 300 metres.  It was broad daylight, just after 5pm,  Daylight Savings Time.  People don't believe me just how common foxes are in suburban areas.  Well, here's a little evidence for you.

The importance of this anecdote is this was within 100 metres of the dam where I observed the endangered Freckled ducks back in December 2013.  Scroll down for post below.   

I apologise for the image quality as it was taken through my windscreen while the car was running - not a very smart choice on my part.  The horizontal blurry areas at the top of the image and at the level of the vixens legs are strands of the barbed wire fence between the fox and the road.   

No comments:

Post a Comment