Wednesday 1 October 2014

European Blackbirds in the Hunter Valley

Female European blackbird, Maitland 17th Sept 2014
Until fairly recently I had no idea that European blackbirds occurred in the Hunter Valley.  They seem to be painfully common in Melbourne, but that was the only place I had seen them routinely.  I met a keen birdo while I was working for the Vertebrate Pest Research Unit of the Department of Primary Industries back in 2009.  Peter assured me they were recorded as "common" throughout the Hunter, but truthfully I did not believe him.  When I asked him exactly where they were in Newcastle, he couldn't tell me because he had never been to Newcastle!  Ha !  I was a keen birdo when I was growing up, and if they were "common", I would definitely have seen them.
Male European blackbird, Maitland 17th Sept 2014. 
I returned to Lake Macquarie in 2012 after working in the Central West, Jervis Bay and even briefly Adelaide.  I joined a local bird observer's club, and somehow the topic of European blackbirds came up.  Turns out they should be described as "locally common" as they are typically encountered around Maitland.  There are not many other places where they are found in the Hunter.

I am very fortunate to work for a small New South Wales Government Department that is based in Maitland.  I had just arrived at work on Wednesday 17th September 2014, when I encountered a pair of European blackbirds foraging on the lawn in the staff car park.  I happened to have my camera with me and grabbed a couple of "proof-shots" to confirm my observation.  Unfortunately they were very nervous, so I was only able to grab a couple of very quick shots.  But they are readily identifiable.  I lodged the record with the Atlas of Living Australia.  
 
Same pair of European blackbirds foraging together in Maitland, 17th Sept 2014.  

No comments:

Post a Comment