Thursday 25 October 2012

Day 14 - Thursday 25th October 2012 

Yes, just another perfect morning of blue skies, calm winds, love and bird calls.  The Rosellas were first, followed by the Rainbow lorrikeets, and four Yellow tailed black cockatoos (YTBC's).  Such a beautiful sight, and the YTBC's are getting quite used to our presence.  We can happily photograph them to our hearts' content, move (slowly) and even talk to them without them becoming too wary.  I have moved the feeder table to within 6 metres of the third bedroom's window. We are four metres above them, and while they are still a little wary, we have been able to get some great photos !

One of the neighbours about 400 metres away has a truly lovely British shorthair cat, which wanders the general area from time to time.  I love all animals, (I was once a zoo keeper) and I have known some nice little pussy cats in my time, but I believe that all cats should definitely be kept indoors - especially at night.  In urban areas I don't worry too much about cats, but if I see one in the bush, all bets are off.  During my zookeeping career I have seen more than my share of pathetically mauled native animals brought in for rehabilitation or euthanasia . . .  Cats have NO PLACE in the Australian bush.  Either do foxes, feral pigs, feral goats, feral deer or feral dogs.  Anyway, I digress.  This is my soap box to talk about what ever I please.  I choose to talk about the wildlife I see during my day to day life in the Hunter Valley, not pontificate on the feral animal issues.  

Generally the cat keeps to the very bottom of our yard, but lately has decided to come a bit closer to the feeders.  The feeders and birdbath are strategically placed in the centre of lawn, well away from any possible ambush spots.  I have seen the cat approach the feeders once before but there were Rainbows feeding and with so many pairs of eyes, she had no chance.  The rainbows took off enmasse and must have uttered a few expletives or alarm calls, because within moments there were Noisy miners "everywhere".  The cat looked me straight in the eyes and as good as swore.  She knew the game was up, and slunk off back down the back yard getting constantly harassed and even hit by the mob of Noisy miners.

This morning I would have shot the cat with a slingshot if I'd had one handy.  There were two YTBC's on the feeder table, and two in the tree above.  The cat slunk around the corner, looked me straight in the eyes, and then bolted straight for the YTBC's feeding on the table.  They didn't see her coming, but the ones in the tree above sure did.  They swooped on her shrieking raucously from behind - well before she'd covered the 15 metres to the table, and I'm pretty sure either bit her or struck her with their wings.  Either way, the cat instantly stopped it's charge and the feeding YTBC's all took off together shrieking alarm calls.  The cat looked up at me and gave me a rattling chuckle, before turning away and slinking into some cover about 20 metres away. 




As I mentioned, I would have happily shot her with a sling shot at this point.  Luckily for her (and me), I walked down the backyard to her hiding place.  She walked out to me purring loudly, rubbing herself against my legs.  I gently picked her up, which all British shorthairs seem to HATE, and walked back down the yard and gently dropped her back over the fence.  Hopefully if she repeats the performance, simply picking her up will dissuade her.  Failing that, I might have to set up a hose and sprinkler in the patch of tree ferns she was using for cover or I might have to look at placing the feeders in the trees.  She is operating on instinct, not deliberate malice.  There is no need to be cruel or hurt the cat.  I just want to discourage her at this stage.  If she persists, I'll have to up the ante.                 


Observations - backyard in Charlestown 
Eastern rosellas x 8
Rainbow lorrikeets x 50+
Yellow tailed black cockatoos x 4
Crested pigeon x 2
Australian raven 
Noisy miners x 3
Pied currawong x 1 
Grey butcherbird x 1 
"Feral" British shorthair cat x 1 
New Species - Scaly breasted lorrikeet (Trichoglossus chlorolepidotus) x 1 among the Rainbows ! 

Observations - riding my mountain bike to work in Waratah 
Noisy miners x 12
Indian myna x 3
Masked plover/lapwing x 1 
Sulphur crested cockatoos x 7
Crested pigeon x 6
Spotted turtle dove x 12+ 
Pee wee x 1
Black backed magpie x 2

Observations - Dinner by Lake Macquarie, WarnersbayWe had a wonderful feed of good old greasy fish & chips at Warnersbay tonight before we headed shopping.  Amanda had been hanging for some for a while, and I don't ever require an excuse to get stuck into gourmet Fish & Chips !

Silver gulls x 50+ (hey, it was after dark when we sat down to eat so even sea-rats sleep!)
New Species - Common Brush Tailed Possum x 1 
A young male, very bold indeed joined us for dinner, clambering down the introduced date palm for a free hand out of chips.  He was quite a character.  
Rainbow lorrikeets x 10 MILLION - we found the mother lode of Rainbow lorrikeet roosts !  Near the back of the Coles supermarket carpark, just on dark.  We literally had to shout to be heard over their racket. . . 




No comments:

Post a Comment