Friday 12 October 2012

Day One


Welcome to Wildlife of the Hunter Valley

The intention of the blog is quite simple.  I am intending to create an anecdotal log of the wildlife that I encounter during my day-to-day life in Newcastle, N.S.W.  It is simply something that I hope will grow to become a useful record.  


Day 1 - Friday 12th October 2012 

Species - Sulphur crested cockatoos (Cacatua galerita) x 2 
Observation - 2 x cockatoos were perched on powerlines over the intersection of Turton Rd & Russell Rd, New Lambton as I drove home at 5:50pm.  

Species - Power owl (Ninox strenua) x 1
Observation - My heart raced as an adult Powerful owl flew across the road in front of my car at approximately 8pm.  What a way to start this blog !  I was travelling towards Hillsborough Primary School down EK Avenue, Charlestown, and was at the intersection of EK Ave and Vicki Street.  What's the big deal? The Powerful owl is listed as "Vulnerable" under the NSW Threatened Species Conservation Act of 1995 - see
 http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/threatenedspeciesapp/profile.aspx?id=10562 for more details.



      


No comments:

Post a Comment